Eh. All the characters were unidimensional cartoons. Northern politicians all were noble public servants with hearts of gold — even the politicians that had to be bribed into voting for the 13th Amendment ultimately did it with enthusiasm and clearly were good people. The politicians against the amendment were clearly despicable people, and the Southerners were all clearly corrupt hateful people. I was bored, this did not seem real.
I’ve actually seen a lot of the Oscar and Golden Globe slate this year:
* Argo, Django Unchained, Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook– all very memorable and very different from one another.
* Les Miserables, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Zero Dark Thirty — all entertaining, all worth a viewing, not sure they are best of anything tho.
* Beasts of the Southern Wild — didn’t see in the theater, watched at home. Not my taste. Don’t really get all the hoohah.
* The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel — didn’t see in theater, watched at home. Didn’t bother to finish, sad and boring.
* Amour, Moonrise Kingdom — haven’t seen.