UPDATE 11/6/06: I’ll leave the original entry below for history but Alienware finally worked this out with me. I received a full refund. So at the end of the day they were reasonable. I have to credit Amex with assistance, I am sure that raising a dispute via them helped to resolve things. Original entry follows.
Why? Because I ordered an Alienware box in July, it arrived broken in August, and it is now October and I have yet to see the fixed box returned to me. I have moved on to trying to get my money back. I have contacted support via phone and email so many times I’ve lost count, and all I get is handwaving.
* Alienware Sucks! — the classic with a complete guide to providing pressure on recalcitrant merchants. Even merits a small WIkipedia mention
* Another guy who managed to get a refund
* some guy has created a t-shirt immortalizing the sentiment
* another set of gripes
* plenty of forum posts about unhappy alienware users — for instance, or here
* Reseller ratings which shows a lot of dissatisfaction, and dropping overall scores
Personally I am contacting American Express in an attempt to get my money back, I am sending mail to Alienware daily. I’ve given up on phone support as you will a) spend a lot of time on hold, b) have to reeducate someone new each day (Groundhog Day), and c) learn that they don’t know what is going on and can’t find anyone to help you.