But to save others from plowing thru the dreck, here is my short list of good reads this year. Some new, some quite old.
* The Glass Bead Game by Hesse. 3/4s of a year later and I can still recollect vast swathes of the book as well as particular scenes. Well worth the time.
* The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. Totally expected to hate it, thought it was just trendy, but this was a solid and memorable story.
* A Confederacy of Dunces by Toole. Great great characters, dying to be a movie.
* Musashi from which I picked up my favorite quote of the year.
* The 9/11 Commission Report. Again, every US citizen should read this.
* And while you are at it, read Imperial Hubris. At the very least, thought-provoking and internally consistent.
* And lest these two depress you too much, read At the Tomb of the Inflatable Pig for a view on a country and culture that is really screwed up.