This year I’ve had a chance to experiment with tools for compute intensive applications. In particular, tools that harness the profusion of inexpensive CPU/GPU cycles available — OpenMP for multi-threading on single machines so that multiple cores can be leveraged; […]
The most important elements of my life are relationships. My spouse/partner. Kids, parents, siblings. My company, co-workers, project teams, classmates. Community groups that I am part of — churches, school communities, neighborhoods, charities, etc. It is interesting that my most […]
I’ve fallen out of the habit of talking about Ignition portfolio news up here, but it has been a busy week and I am re-motivated to talk about some of these companies. * “Bromium”:http://vator.tv/news/2011-06-22-bromium-gets-92m-to-make-the-cloud-more-secure has a great team and working […]
I am a huge sports enthusiast. I love the Buckeyes (despite all their current woes!). I follow with interest the Seahawks, the Browns, USC, UW, the Big Ten, the Pac Ten, the SEC. I watch excessive amounts of college football, […]
Techstars expands to Seattle
* Touchable holography. Uses tracking cameras and directed ultrasound to create interaction and physical sensation. Cool demo. * Algortihmatic – online library of algorithms and IDE. Cool tho limited. * The LED’s dark secret. Droop in LED performance to be […]
Gleaned from the twittersphere: FT.com / Comment / Opinion – Ten principles for a Black Swan-proof world. Man some good common sense in here. Business plans a waste of time. Sounds like your typical entrepreneur would be far better off […]
Venture Capital – Thoughts On The Asset Class. A very concise and simple statement on the state of VC broadly. Whether you agree or not, these are issues to wrestle with.
GreenPDF has a ton of info about the carbon costs of paper, fun to read. i am not sure why they commingle the message with PDF adoption, that seems strange, but the numbers are fun. we’ve invested in a couple […]
Seattle Startup Index here — thanks Marcelo — some good Ignition portfolio representation but kind of sad we missed out on Lolcats ‘n’ Funny Pictures of Cats – I Can Has Cheezburger?
* Idea Blob: An Infectious Way to Fund Your Green Business : Ecopreneurist — ok not really green specific but interesting * Reusing worn oil production tubing as jewelry — just looks cool. * Artifical Solar Leaves — cool looking, […]
William Brent’s Search for Cleantech — good summary from William Brent
Marcello is running this Seattle Startup Index — 200 Seattle Startups – November SSI — kind of cool
* DocuSign Raises $12.4 Million — Jonro is pretty excited about these guys, they seem to be making great progress * Yet more new features at Judy’s Book — the deal quality keeps getting better, the Seattle landing page actually […]
When three ex-MSFTies partner: They’re Beautiful! – istartedsomething — I’d been meaning to notice these guys, looks like they are up to some cool stuff. Not sure how they make money but nice work. Good luck guys.
blog.pmarca.com: The Pmarca Guide to Startups, part 4: The only thing that matters In honor of Andy Rachleff, formerly of Benchmark Capital, who crystallized this formulation for me, let me present Rachleff’s Law of Startup Success: The #1 company-killer is […]
* The Big Picture | How to Fail As a Trader in 10 Easy Steps — “9. Trade with your emotions”. These probably apply to any investment business * Ten most useful knots — I know I forgot these from […]
EarlyStageVC: Web 2.0 – Over and Out — great article. Hard to get excited about Web2.0 ideas, they have entered the realm of the ordinary. When a startup says “we are going to have a social network and user generated […]
Via Techcrunch, TheFunded which tracks feedback on VCs by funded companies. This s awesome, more transparency and communication is always good. I note Bessemer is rated highly, I’m on a board with some Bessemer folks and I would have to […]
* I wonder how the LPs feel (via Mattishness) at Starting Up by Rahul Pathak * Bob on tripods. Bob knows photography * Andy reminds me to disconnect every once in a while. * The jobster team keeps pouring out […]