coconut-flavour.com – [coconutBattery 2.6.3]. – nice battery life/capacity monitor for the mac
Battery Calibration | Tongfamily.com. — Rich summarizes all the brain damage you have to go through to keep your battery in good condition on your macbook. No wonder people are investing so much in battery technology, if people have to do anything like this for their upcoming PHEV, well, they are going to revolt.
Not sure why, the Mac Airbook SSD was reporting full. Tried to delete a bunch of apps, nothing seemed to help. I kind of wonder if it isn’t a time machine problem. I don’t have great OSX intuition and so an examination of the directory structure and process list didn’t really mean much to me.
Decided to just reinstall the OS. 40G free again. we’ll see what happens. Rennie pointed me towards The Omni Group – OmniDiskSweeper – Download or Tinkertool as decent utilities to use if it happens again.
* Toolmonger » Blog Archive » Meet Rockwell’s Jawhorse — I have a thing for portable work benches and their ilk
* Borosilicate Tea Kettle — just because I like saying it, “could you please hand me my borosilicate tea kettle?”
* Floating Wireless Speaker — there has to be a way to use this at Halloween.
* Vertical Macbook Dock — kind of cool looking
* Stylish Tape Measures — because they look awesome
* CrunchGear » Archive » XBMC for Mac OS X continues to mature, gives Front Row much needed competition — I have an idle mac mini…
* cloudprint — i occasionally want to print at home while at work, and vice versa, this might be the way…
* Dashboard for google docs
* Eagle circuit layout software
* NES games in the browser — like i need more time wasters
* Copy Handler — tho i don’t do that much windows copying any more…
Sigh been trying to make this work and it looks like it never will — Networking a mac and a xp computer with a kodak 5500 printer – FixYa — apparently a lot of printers don’t support the necessary features for network use from a Mac. So I am going to have to buy another freaking printer — official Mac driver support here — you have to make sure you get one with a “modern” driver.
PS Thanks to the Pure Networks guys for helping me figure this out.
* Crapware: Superior Alternatives to Crappy Windows Software — i didn’t know about cdburnerxp
* Rsyncx on the mac — potential beyondcompare alternative
* Passpack password manager. I am not ready to give some service all my credentials but man do i need this
* Noiseware — I like this app, hugely helpful on my basketball gym shots
* firmware replacement for canon cameras — huh.
* Featured Mac Download: Drag and Drop Upload Files to Google Docs with Gdocsuploader — Googledocs mounted on a mac.
* Flickr mounted under Linux
* Mount USB drives in a folder — to get around windows shell goofiness and to get around stupid arbitrary drive letters
OK this is starting to get really annoying. 70+ sync errors today with the iphone. seems to be mostly with recurring calendar events. grr. i know have my dad’s birthday on my calendar like 8 times.
UPDATE: Oh fricking great. 1548 sync conflicts reported. What the hell am I supposed to do with that????
UPDATE: Oh double great. Now the Conflict Resolver is trying to sync an iCal event with a contact. Awesome. And trying to resolve a conflict between my mom’s birthday and a basketball game — “Select the correct Event information below”
The good news is now I can plausibly skip every meeting and say “gee it wasn’t on my calendar”
Did this for the first time last night. Movies look great on the mac but the import process is dog slow, basically happening at something close to regular playback speeds.
This software may be worth trying — iMovie & iDVD Visual QuickStart Guide: Import AVCHD Later with Voltaic
* The Gadgets Weblog: Wacom Bamboo Fun — I’ve always wanted a tablet.
* Painter’s Pyramid — actually seem highly useful
* 160Megapixel camera — on the road to gigapixel cameras
* Sandisk TakeTV. this keeps calling out to me as the way to get home movies down on the tv.
* 8 core macpro with decent graphics options
* Garmin forerunner 405
Rich likes the new Time Capsule. I may get one. Already ordered the new slim notebook. And the mac pros with the refreshed video card options look great. We are teetering on becoming a mac-only household.
* Feature: Customize Your Mac with Leopard Power Tweaks. If nothing else I’d like the “Revert the blue dots to Tiger’s black triangles” tweak, those blue dots are just not very noticeable
* iTunesFS — i know i will need this someday
* Make custom rings with garageband