I ordered some outdoor flicker lamps from SMARTHOME – X10, Remote Control, Home Automation, Wireless Security, Lighting Control and some of them were defective. In a cranky mood I filled out their post-sales survey, and was contacted promptly by them and they are sending me a new unit. It pays to complain I guess.
* mutli-channel player — sned sounds over individual channels of a 5.1 setup. pretty useful for running multiple sounds off a single pc. Also a random tip on this page — “Want a “dead ringer” for Halloween? Run a string from a grave up to a bell mounted on the tombstone!” — I might try this.
* Another random good tip I read — used rotisserie motors make great prop animators
* Electronic Goldmine for random electronic and control supplies
* What to do with an old CRT?? Make it into the world’s heaviest strobe light of course.
* Article on 4-bar linkage design
* Fittings Depot — for pneuma fittings. Awesome.
* Great article on how to use a Shiatsu massager as the basis of a prop.
* EFX-tek prop controllers.
- If price is no object — Scarefactory furniture — most of this is a little too gory for my tastes, but great stuff.
- Cloud lamp – nice little project. I think 10 of these little touches can do a lot more for your setup than one big expensive prop.
- Various ideas on how to make flickering light effects from LEDs. Some more LED flicker ideas
- PVCplans — helpful for building structures (mausoleums, etc)
Thanks to methodzofmadness forums where most of these ideas are traded.
OK not necessarily a Halloween item bu this looks like a great tool to have if it really works — was sold out everywhere this holiday season — The LightKeeper Pro is designed to solve the frequent problems associated with Miniature Light Sets and Bulbs. By simply plugging your light set into the LightKeeper Pro and pressing the Trigger, most problems can be fixed automatically.
Latest links culled mostly from the MoM Forum
* Simple Dimmer. Lots of other kits and components here too.
* Simple prop controllers and some nice application notes like this skull idea (zipped pdf)
* I’m sure I’ve blogged this before, the hauntmaster controller — “The Flex ECT is an externally triggered, dual timer that is connected between a sensor (switch) and the electrically operated event device as shown in the diagram to the right”
* Plans to build your own event control timer.
* A range of LED fixtures and drivers. Seems like all halloween lighting should move to LED over time?
* Some hints in here on silencing pneumatic solenoids — the exhaust noise doesn’t really bother me but maybe I will want to do this some day.
* Some very basic intro guides to haunt lighting
* Lighting control units. These look like overkill to me, better for Christmas applications.
Well this is news to me. Read on the MOM group today — quinine water or tonic water will glow when exposed to a blacklight! and the diet versions are not sticky. For use in lab setups, etc. A very short explanation here.
Cool lighting machines, smoke machines, mixers, audio gear, etc. The Effects Company – Special Effects – Smoke Machines – Aroma Effects – England, UK. Prosound — I have had good experiences buying from them. THEATRE EFFECTS – HOME PAGE. And American DJ Homepage.
Bulbs, basic supplies, odd lighting. Residential and Commercial Lighting: Christmas – Icicle – Bubble Lights – Halloween – Nascar – Mini Lights and Much More. Specialty lighting – by lighting expressions featuring Duralight. CooLight Electroluminescent Wire. ABC LIGHT BULBS. All light bulbs, lights, lighting and More.