Recent Books — Starless Sea, El Salvador, Daisy Jones & The Six, Deep State, Sunnyside
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern. I am ambivalent. Certainly the story is creative, and much work was done to plot it out. But I am not really convinced the story went anywhere. I was compelled to finish but I don’t know I will remember much.
- What You Have Heard Is True by Carolyn Forche. Brutal look at El Salvador during the Civil War in the 80s and 90s. Horrible. We have done so little in the US for our Central American neighbors, and actually have been behind so many terrible people.
- Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I would not normally seek out a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick but this was a great tale of rock and roll, drugs, sex, love, betrayal, forgiveness, redemption, consequences, responsibility. Tore through it.
- Deep State by Chris Hauty. Embarrassed to say I read this — shoddy characters, shoddy dialog. But enthralling, couldn’t put it down, nice twists.
- Sunnyside by Glen David Gold. No idea why I bought this years ago. I like weird and this was too weird to finish.