Recent Books — Waking Up White, Beyond the Pale, Light Years, Koryta, Murderbot
- Waking Up White by Debby Irving. A lot to process in this book. I am probably just a few steps along the path to really understanding race in the US and my own role in the issues. This is definitely worth reading and thinking about.
- Beyond the Pale by Clare O’Donahue. Pleasant little detective jaunt set mostly in Ireland. An appealing couple of main characters. The MacGuffin is a little forced, but the chase for it has some fun parts.
- Light Years by James Salter. A bit of a throwback, and oh so nicely written — very very smooth. Makes the above modern texts seem clunky.
- How It Happened by Michael Koryta. Solid thriller set in coastal Maine — murders, drugs, tawdry secrets. Engaging
- Artificial Condition by Martha Wells. Gosh this MurderBot series is fun. I want a wisecracking sidekick murderous robot.