Pretty overwhelmingly in favor of Ohio.
* A is for Astronauts. Sure Michigan has like 25 astronaut alums, but John Glenn and Neil Armstrong are Ohioans. The first American in orbit and the first man on the moon! No contest, advantage Ohio.
* B is for buildings shaped like baskets. Again, Ohio.
* C is for Cities starting with “C”. Ohio dominates.
* D is for Date of statehood. Ohio has a 34 year lead and the gap isn’t shrinking.
* E is for Etymology. Ohio means “beautiful river”, Michigan means “large lake”. Beauty trumps size.
* F is for Flag. The Ohio flag is unique and is rockin’. The Michigan flag is unoriginal and the moose and elk are vaguely disturbing.
* G is for Golfers. Ohio features Jack Nicklaus, the Golden Bear. Michigan passes.
* H is for Helmets. OK the Michigan helmet design gets points for uniqueness. but Stickers Stickers Stickers!
* I is for Industrialists. Henry Ford started an industry, revolutionized production, but lost leadership to GM. Rockefeller started an industry and wiped out all semblance of competition, finally motivating government action.
* J is for Japan and K is for Korea, who have led the way in beating the hell out of the US auto industry and helped to drive Michigan’s economy into the tank. Ohio’s more diversified industrial and service base has held up better.
* L is for Lakes. OK Michigan has an edge here, featuring its own Great Lake, and being surrounded by several others.
* M is for Mounds. Ohio features some great archeological sites from the mound builders. Michigan — any? Even 3000 years ago, people preferred to live in Ohio.
* N is for Neighboring states. Michigan touches 3, Ohio 5.
* O is for Oh My God You Lost To Appalachian State!
* P is for Presidents. 8 from Ohio, 1 from Michigan. Bam!
* R is for Roller coasters. Cedar Point is the greatest roller coaster park in the country, King’s Island also has some great rides. Michigan has some county carnivals and the defunct Auto World in Flint.
* S is for Shape. Ohio is most reminiscent of a shield — an essential and honorable part of a knight’s outfit. Michigan is shaped like a mitten.
* T is for Tressel. Kryptonite to the whole state of Michigan.
* U is for the Upper Peninsula. Advantage Michigan I guess, but what kind of state can’t even keep all its land together?
* V is for Vacancy rates. I don’t think there is much dispute that Detroit leads the way in office vacancy.
* W is for Winning streaks. OSU now owns the conference record.
* X is for Xacto Knives, headquartered in Columbus.
* Y is for Yakitty yak. Donahue and Jerry Springer started in Ohio. Michigan
residents are more famous as guests.
* Z is for Delis starting with z. OK Ann Arbor wins one here.